Introduction to java:
– was created in 1991
– by James Gosling et al. of Sun Microsystems.
– Initially called Oak, in honor of the tree outside Gosling's window, its name
was changed to Java because there was already a language called Oak.
The original motivation for Java
● the need for platform independent language that could be embedded in various consumer electronic products like toasters and refrigerators.
– One of the first projects developed using Java
● a personal hand-held remote control named Star 7.
– At about the same time, the World Wide Web and the Internet were gaining popularity. Gosling et. al. realized that Java could be used for Internet programming